Friday, July 13, 2007

Trophy Wife Travel Network



My job entails a fair amount of travel, including some out of town trips, though many times it is to the same 2 or 3 places. I enjoy it though, it breaks up the monotony of sitting behind a desk, and hey, ya gotta love those expense checks for the mileage (yep, I love making extra money via those, hee hee!) Plus, twice a year I get to go to cities for national conferences that are rotated throughout the country, which has an cool, exciting element to it.

Due to all of this travel, I get the opportunity to stay in a wide range of hotels. Over the years, some have been good, some not-so-good, and some downright gross and/or scary (hullo, Appalachian Conference in Kentucky!)

I have found that the decor of a hotel can have a lot to do with the quality of my stay. If I like the design of the lobby, the furniture, the color scheme in the room, it can go a long way towards whether I enjoy my stay or not. In that regard, I am drawn to places that have more modern or contemporary touches to them, or even silly/funky ones (yes, Hotel Helix, I am referring to your shagadelic self with the leopard-print robes). If a hotel has those big, faux-velvet stuffed chairs in a fun color, it definitely puts a smile on my face, as for some reason I just love those chairs, and wished I had one at home to sink into!

There's always the tendency to stay at a hotel where you've already had a good experience. But sometimes I will have to venture to a city whose hotel offerings I am unfamiliar with, or maybe I just have the urge to mix it up a bit. As a result, I have become a big fan of the Trip Advisor web site, which allows you to research hotels based on the more honest recommendations of regular folks who have stayed there. Sometimes they even post their own room and lobby photos, which is a nice touch.

Later this year I must travel to Las Vegas for a weeklong conference. Trip Advisor contributors have recommended one hotel in particular as having thee best beds in all of Vegas . . . we shall see!

No comments: