Thursday, January 08, 2009

Wants & Needs

For the past decade I have used the logic of separating "Wants" from "Needs" in order to make decisions, prioritize, communicate, and so on. I find it to be quite useful, on a lot of fronts. Now that 2009 is here, and many of the blogs I frequent are stating their New Years Resolutions, I thought a "Wants & Needs" list might help me expeditiously move (or muddle) through the following year, and maybe make it a bright and shiny one in the process.


Here goes:


  • I want to work out 5x's a week, including lifting weights 3x's per week.
  • I need to spend a combined 5 full hours a week exercising, on a conveniently located treadmill (i.e. at home).


  • I want to go away on a spa vacation.
  • I need to have two pedicures a year, and quarterly nights away from home all to myself.

  • I want to put more hours into my fabulous job.
  • I need to work as efficiently as possible with the time I have, and embrace my existing ability to multi-task as a gift.


  • I want to have a great time at my company's big Gala, and look fabulous while doing so.
  • I need to sober up befor driving home, and look fabulous at the big Gala.

  • I want to have a big spa-like bathtub in my house to escape to whenever I need respite.
  • I need to bathe every other day, without feeling guilty for taking time away from _______ (fill in the blank with: Lil Pumpkin, chores, workstuff, sleep, Dr. J, emails, photo editing).

  • I want to hike every weekend this coming spring and summer.
  • I need to do something weekly that is very active and sweaty, outdoors, this coming spring and summer.

  • I want to have no debts, be setting aside money for my kid's future, and my own (LOL) retirement.
  • I need to feel financial secure, or at least on manageable ground.

  • I want to be a Trophy Wife.
  • I need to be the envy of bona fide trophy wifes. Okay, I want to be the envy of every woman - I freely admit it. I am competitive like that. It's residual chafe from years of NOT being the prettiest, smartest, funnest (I know it's not a word).

  • I want to be able to sit through mass each week, listening and breathing and contemplating.
  • I need for my daughter to get with MumMa's dream of timing her naps for during mass.

  • I want to be a stylish and fashionable person again.
  • I need to occasionally have a new dress. And shoes (and neither have to be expensive nor designer).

  • I want a deep-tissue massage twice a month.
  • I need to have somebody with strong hands rub my neck and back, for 10 minutes, once a week.

  • I want to have crazy, fun, slightly buzzed, sex regularly.
  • I need to have the urge to want crazy, fun, slightly buzzed, sex regularly.

  • I want to tell my husband that I still think he is very attractive. And that when it wears cologne on the weekends (job prevents him from doing so during the week), it really turns me on.
  • I need to do a better job of letting my fear prevent me from doing so.


  • I want to have two new, reliable, Japanese crossover vehicles that get good gas mileage.
  • I need to feel that I am driving a reliable vehicle, and not burst into tears nor rage when one of our vehicles breaks down or has some other mechanical issue beyond our control.

  • I want to have a new kitchen for Dr. J to cook in.
  • I need to pay for a bunch of other shit in our lives first.

  • I want to be able to turn up the heat in our house without worrying about the bill next month.
  • I need to feel warm without consequence.

  • I want to rotate weekly meetups up with Lori, Hamster, Kelli, and Sandi for drinks and gossip and venting.
  • I need to have standing dates with all of these people, and not feel so isolated and out of touch. And not feel guilty about being away from the baby when I do so.


No comments: