Sunday, December 03, 2006

Goodbye High School

Friday was my last day at my old job, which I have come to refer to by its code name of "High School." It's aptly named, because of the gossip factor, cliques, people, and behaviors that were eerily similar of high school -- and I will admit that even I was not immune!

One of the strangest and yet heartening things to have happened during my last few days involved the e-mail note I sent out to my contacts informing them I was leaving, my new contact info, yadda, yadda. I must have received close to 75 replies from these folks (all outside of High School), thanking me for all of my help, telling me how professional I was, how much they enjoyed working with me, and so on. I wanted to print them out and tape them all over that jerk "Guido's" office, just to show him how wrong he was about me.

Even though I am thrilled to have escaped from the miserable clutches of one hypocritical, juvenile, complete jerk boss -- Guido -- (I had three in all, but only one was a problem), it was still hard to leave. Partly because I had been beaten down emotionally and had lots of self-doubt about my abilities, I am quite nervous about the huge, big, important repsonsibilities I will be taking on at my new job. And of course, I am leaving behind the daily interaction I had with some dear friends. So there were tears on Friday, and some internal second-guessing, but I know that I have to move forward -- for many, many reasons . . . some professional, but even more personal.

So tomorrow I will turn the page, and begin a new chapter. A fresh start . . . a clean slate.

No comments: