Monday, March 02, 2009

Tiny. Smug. Mine.

Dr. J and I had out first EVENING date sans-baby since becoming parents on July 28th of last year. REALLY. We (or is it me) had some separation anxiety since Lil Pumpkin has not ever had a bedtime without Mummy or Daddy (and 95% of time it's both of us) since we became her Forever Family. But she was with her Nan and her beloved Pap ("Paaaaaap!") and all went smoothly. It's usually a slam dunk when your kid falls asleep in the Dor.a ball pit at her grandparents house, hee hee.

It felt really good to be able to go out, all gussied up, for an evening with my husband. To make smart ass remarks about everything going on around us, and in that blessed "spousal shorthand" that nobody else gets or understands. To like the same things that others would scoff at (hullo, "crumbles"!), and be able to say to Dr. J the phrase "I can't be in that parking lot and you know why" and for him to immediately understand WHY, and not want to be there too. That's something we have learned over the past month -- that the serious grief we have endured has also binded/bonded us, albeit in a very odd way. The shared grief that tears us apart also makes us (still) reach out for the only other person who could possibly understand.

We remembered what it was like pre-baby, but agreed that the mundane chores of life are now the best things in the world, like going to Sam's with Lil Pumpkin . . . suddenly it's an event! And it's as much fun as a night out on the town, but with deeper smiles and far better giggles (though they belong to her).

So what was my favorite moment on Saturday Night? Probably when the hostess (great gal, BTW!) offered me a piece of chocolate cake and I politely declined. I did this because I don't really like chocolate cake, being a vanilla/yellow kind of girl. She assumed otherwise, and said "You are already so tiny anyways!" TINY?! Me?! Oh girl, I am SO lovin' you now for calling me tiny!!! And loving An.n Tayl.or Loft for the dress I purchased there that very afternoon. And even my inlaws for the gift card that allowed me to purchase said dress. And my husband for chasing after The Chinese Ball of Frenetic Energy on the indoor mall playground while Mummy shopped for said dress that made her look (and feel) tiny.

Best part of Sunday? All around another terrific day spent with Lil Pumpkin. But favorite moment came when my 22-month old CONNED me into allowing her a second lollipop while we waited in a long line at the deli counter. I finally gave in because she was being adorably persistent (normally she is stricyly limited to ONE mini-dumdum per day), and the SMUG little look she gave me when I gave in was priceless. Oh, she is SO gonna set the world on fire, no matter what she does in life!

Oh, and it was yet another weekend in which Dr. J and surveyed the other children we saw, and continually whispered to one another "gawd, why are everybody else's kids so UGLY?! Damn, OUR kid is gorgeous!!!"

And smart. And brilliant. And persistent. And funny. And stubborn. And dramatic.

And . . . MINE.

6 comments:

MH said...

dude, what's the story behind the parking lot buncke doesn't want to park in?

i know what u mean about having a partner that gets it. nice huh?

MamaSewHappy said...

I'm curious too. What happened to Buncke in the parking lot? Sounds like something we should know about! ;)

MH said...

2.0 has a nice photo of herself by her comment. i should post one of my many fabulous shots. although they all have a drink in hand....

TrophyWife said...

Actually, it's kind of sad -- okay not kinda, it's REALLY sad . . .

"That parking lot" refers to a parking lot in which we were sitting in February 2008, when we got the call from our pediatrician that the first baby we had been matched with (from China) actually had a more serious health condition than it first appeared. Whereas it was believed she just had a moderate case of anemia (a genetic strain seen in Mediterrean and some Chinese people), it actually turned out to be that she had leukemia, and was going to die.

Sorry, I am bringing down the room. Majorly. I still weep and pray for her, and her photo is still burned into my mind.

Crying now. Dammit.

MH said...

oh. well that certainly brought the comment stream down.

sorry :(

i assumed it was another type of, oh nevermind....

Ms. J said...

Yeah, I wish it was cause of some funny memory in which an police officer knocked on the window cause I was giving him a BJ ;o)