Thursday, January 11, 2007

Travel Thoughts

I knew my new job would involve more travel than my old gig. And that's a good thing, as I hate being stuck in the office, and felt that my prior employer wasted my talents by not putting me in the field more.

In the 5 weeks I have been employed at my new job, I have had 4 overnight trips (not to mention a half-dozen meetings that have taken me all around town). This amount of travel gives one significant time to observe people in airports, hotels, meetings, and so on. I have been keeping a running list in my head, which I have come to call "Travel Observations" . . .

* Why do people RUSH the gate when the airline employee announces that it's time for "preboarding" -- I mean, unless you're flying Southwest, you already have an ASSIGNED SEAT! Are these people getting to our destination before I do? And now that you can hardly take any toiletries in your carry-on luggage, it throws out a large part of the reason people clamor for the space in the overhead compartments.

* What is it about waiting for their flight to begin boarding that makes fat people suddenly have the overwhelming urge for ice cream? I can't tell you how many times I have seen fat folks eating Ben & Jerry's, while on the people-mover walkway at the airport!!! At the same time, I also have been spotting a bunch of too-skinny people munching on an apple while walking by in their Birkenstocks.

* Why can I never find non-caffineated beverages (like pop and tea) when I need them? I have begun carrying my own decaf tea bags and Sweet-N-Low, and just paying for a cup of hot water.

* What IS that musty smell that hotel rooms often have??? I now pack lavender linen spray from Crabtree & Evelyn, to make things more pleasant.

Maybe I am just a bit tired. But all of the above is still true.

No comments: