Saturday, November 17, 2007

Viva Las Vegas -- Recap

Yeah, yeah, I know -- I usually do daily entries when I have a big trip (esp. when it has an element of "fun" involved, as I was counting on this one to have).

I got busy, so it didn't happen. Forgive me.

So I will try my best to give a proper summary of Thee Vegas Trip . . .

Wednesday:

Probably my busiest days in terms of meetings. Saw some interesting presentations by my colleagues from other states, who fight the same legislative battles as I. I tried to write down key buzz phrases, so I can use them in my region, too. Had lunch with my pal Ryan, where we shared a few giggles over our mutual desire to ALWAYS go on the out of town trips, whenever possible! Later on in the day there was a big ass conference session in which we saw these televised commercials and documentaries about our industry and the folks who won national awards for their good deeds -- I must say, I was impressed by the quality of the video presentations, as well as inspired by the folks who were honored. Wow. It made me proud to work for and with these people. Bill Cosby was brought in as the big speaker. I like Bill Cosby, totally repsect his life's work and all that . . . but he's not quite my ultimate cup of tea. I was getting fidgety (what a shock -- NOT), so I skipped out a few minutes early to beat the crowd as they exited.

I made my way back to the hotel, grateful that my official "work day" had come to an end. I enjoyed a tasty meal, then decided to retire back to my room. It felt soooo good to slip out of my big girl suit, kick off my shoes, and eventually stretch out on the bed. But I still failed to get much sleep that night. Keyed up, I guess?!

Thursday:

My schedule did not require me to be anywhere until noon on Thursday. So I lounged in bed for most of the morning. Just kinda indulged myself with some relaxing "me time". Mmmmm. My relaxing morning was even capped off by an act of culinary pleasure . . . a big, sweet, sticky Belgian Waffle, complete with the syrup, strawberries, and a heaping mound of whipped cream. Did I already say "Mmmmmm"?!?! It bears much repeating. It was a perfect culmination of longing met with tasty bliss.

After popping over to the convention for a luncheon, I then moseyed about the shops at the Venetian, the highlight of which was playing dress up with the Mikimoto black pearl pendant necklace . Meow. I quickly texted the girls to mark the moment.

After struggling through the afternoon sessions (how I could not be distracted at this point?), I made my way back to the hotel to get changed for a night on the town. One of my midwest-based colleagues had been the recipient of a handful of surplus show tickets (courtesy of one of his BoD members who had purchased too many), and I was to be the very lucky recipient of one of them! Cue the squeals!!! First we all went to dinner at the Eiffel Tower Restaurant (I decided that so long as the restaurant was IN the good ol' U.S.A., I wasn't breaking my ban on all things French). Dinner was dee-lish! Really, it was. After dinner we hurried over to the Bellagio to see . . . CIRQUE DU SOLEIL!!! Yep, I was gonna see "O"! I don't know what the "O" stands for, but it should be for OMG! Wow, I was blown away. It was so amazing. I was dressed up, watching a world-class show . . . the whole thing was like a giant surreal moment, nearly indescribable. I was sad for the evening to end, since everything had been so exciting and unique.

Friday:

Another morning in which I had the good fortune of lingering in bed a bit. The only thing which lured me out of bed was that I was determined to treat myself to a few Krispy Kremes for breakfast, which seemed like the perfect punctuation to mark the end of a trip to "Sin City." I hadn't had a Krispy Kreme in soooo long . . . I wanted to savor every exquisite and satisying bite. Mmmmm! (Again). All in all, it was a good trip. Perfect balance of work and play. Too bad reality will smack me in the face when I get back to the office on Monday.

No comments: