Monday, December 17, 2007

The Most UnWonderful Time of the Year

It's been building, that's for sure. And now I know that I have about a week's worth of increasingly shitty days ahead of me that I have to endure.

At this point, I know my best bet is probably just breaking it down into smaller chunks of survivability -- hour by hour, even minute by minute, if I need to. (I sound like I am in AA -- 'cept I am running towards booze, not away from it!)

The financial squeeze makes it difficult to comfort oneself, too, of course. As well as my insistence upon not letting the body I have dragged back from obesity wander once again into the Land of Fried Food and Fat Clothes.

So how will I do it? Quite frankly, I am not so sure I can.

But maybe if I write it down a bit, I will take back the teeniest measure of control, instead of further lapsing into the out-of-control mess I have been finding myself subsisting in.

Okay, here goes . . . THINGS I CAN DO TO SURVIVE THE NEXT WEEK:


  • Check in with Kirsten, and make sure SHE is surviving (she is in equal pain)
  • Go to the gym, but not punish myself if I chose friends over the treadmill
  • Allow us to have a nice meal and maybe a treat or two in NYC, since being a tightwad ain't exactly spooning with me at night
  • Telling people point blank that I need them THIS week, regardless of how busy they are
  • Being kinder to myself, and acknowledging that I am allowed to be a raving, lunatic, emotional bitch this week if I need to
  • Drinking at least one glass of wine each night to calm my nerves and smooth out the frayed edges
  • Sending out as many Christmas cards as I want
  • Stop trolling the internet for bad news about China
  • Keep trolling the internet for children around here who need us now, and allowing my heart to open to them
  • Finishing the "Distract/Prepare List"
  • Taking my Mom's car to NYC, so we can use the EZ Pass for free
  • Remember the key phrase we worked on in therapy: "Rollerskate, not Ice Skate!"
  • Begin psyching myself up to lose 10 more pounds next year
  • Give in to what feels good, for just one week, instead of being logical
  • Focusing on watching out for Dr. J as we invade Long Island -- nothing kicks my ass back into gear as much as the "Fight or Flight" instinct (wanna guess which one emerges in me when my back is against the wall? Yeah, try tripling it when someone comes after my man -- bitches, I mean, In-Laws/Out-Laws, I ain't so down that I can't wipe out ALL your asses!)
  • Reminding myself that the timing is just where it needs to be, and was meant to be, and had to be, in order to achive the perfect end game

Cheers.

No comments: