Sunday, December 30, 2007

Cousins and Cupcakes


Finally had the opportunity to bond with my most closest cousin (oh hell, she's more like my little sister) Sandi on Saturday. I had reached out to her and told her I needed (not a want, NEED) to spend time with her. The great thing about her is that she KNOWS all of the family shit, so there's no lag time when I vent or bounce my fears off of her -- she knows the players equally well, and that is a relief to me. Sometimes I find it too overwhleming to share intimate details with people, since there is always so much backstory that seems to take forever to explain. That's why I treasure Sandi so much. She gets it. All of it. And she doesn't try to fix it. She listens. And yet, she always seems to come up with some little gem of wisdom, just a phrase, that sticks with me and helps me re-center and re-set the course I have been trying to sail.

Over the past two years there have been three things in particular she has said to me that have stuck with me, and though she probably has no idea how much, have guided me immensely:



  1. There is no trophy given for the amount of grief one couple can endure

  2. It doesn't matter if you bring a baby home from the hospital or an airport

  3. It sounds like you need to shut out everyone and cocoon (her latest observation)

Oh, and one more thing, she thinks my sister-in-law is a phucking bitch, too. Ya gotta love that kind of support!

So after we took a long walk with her two-year-old, Maya, and went grocery shopping, I then picked up Dr. J so we could go celebrate a very important day.

It was Dozen 's 1-year anniversary! And God Bless Them, Dozen was selling cupcakes for a blessedly cheap $1 per cupcake all freakin' day!!!!!!!!! Woo-hoo, we HAD to be there!!!! Of course, I had my vanilla-vanilla, while Dr. J had his East End Stout cupcake. Then, he got that devious look in his eye and proclaimed that "we need (NEED, lol!) to split just one more!" So I gave in and let him talk me into another vanilla-vanilla. Mmmmm. Happy Anniversary to Dozen, and we anixiously await the opening of their new bakery in late-January (NOTE TO DR. J: I think that will have to be OUR anniversary date, dear!)


No comments: