Saturday, October 27, 2007

Birthday Re-Cap

The last couple of years (and especially last year) I have absolutely dreaded my birthday. For about a thousand reasons, I just couldn't muster up any enthusiasm for celebrating. But I am trying to do better this year, in spite of my preference to still not celebrate much of anything. Celebrations are supposed to be about joy, and everytime I try to do so (celebrate) I feel guilty because I think of what has been lost. Even writing about it is hard.

But I am also trying to not be such a downer to those around me. So I agreed to dip my toes back into the birthday pool this year. But there couldn't be a party, and I told my mother point blank that if there is a cake on Sunday (we are going out to dinner) I will never speak to her again. Really. I am hopeful she will respect my wishes and comply.

I received an early surprise the day prior to my birthday when one of the most vocal and critical members of my Board of Directors showed up at a meeting with a personalized birthday cake for me -- whoa! This is a woman who my (staff-level) colleagues refer to as "The one who eats her young" -- yeah, a real ball-buster. And she brought ME a cake?!?! I was very touched, to tell the truth.

Wednesday, my actual birthday, was chock full of important meetings and even a public hearing. But my friends and family managed to squeeze in the appropriate text messages and phone calls of cheer. I was stunned when I went back to my office late in the day and there was a gorgeous floral arrangment from . . . my husband! You could have knocked me over with a feather. I was really surprised by this. They were so beautiful, and full of "Nancy Reagan Red" flowers that look great with the leaves changing colors all around our town at present.



After work I met Lori for dinner and finally got the chance to fawn (in person) about her new, shiny, sparkling engagement ring! Then Dr. J picked me up and we went out to dinner at one of our favorite places. There was a major service problem at the beginning of the meal, but as we got up to leave the manager recognized us, and insisted we sit back down. He wound up comping us an appetizer, a bottle of wine (yum!) and a really adorable dessert which they call "A Study of Chocolate."

We were positively STUFFED by the end of the meal . . . how we made it to the car and home is still a mystery?! Dr. J gave me a very touching birthday card when we got back to our house (which made me cry, but they were okay tears).


But it was just what I needed for my birthday this year . . . low-key, simple, and delicious.

No comments: